Monday, May 28, 2012

What a Difference a Year Makes!

By this time last year, we had already hit the 100's two months before, and we'd only had about 2 inches of rain. We had just started on a long hot dry summer full of misery that would end with what felt like Hell right on our doorstep. Millions of livestock were lost or sold off. Only a lucky few were able to get any kind of crops. We really did have to worry about running out of water, and in some places, they had to have it trucked in. I myself only got a handful of produce last year, and I had access to almost as much water as I wanted. I only mowed once last year, and that's because I hadn't mowed for the last time in 2010. I was already watering on a weekly basis and had been for about two months. We knew that we were going to be in for a long hot dry summer, but we had no idea just how bad it was going to be.

This year, we've already had almost 11 inches of rain, and we have yet to hit 100. It looks like it might be some time before we hit 100 too. We are fighting lots of weeds, and I've had to mow five times. There is a good portion of Texas that is no longer in a drought, and the ones that are still in a drought, like ourselves, are in the lowest levels of drought. I had already picked more produce two weeks ago this year than I did all of last year. We may be in for a rough summer, but it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as last year. Here in Round Rock, the lakes where we get our water are full, and have been for about a month now. I've had to water so little that I have to remind myself to do so. We will last through the summer, no matter how bad we get, and not have to worry about running out of water, like we did last year. If we are really lucky, we may have a few storms blow through and help us get back to where we were before this crap started.

No comments:

Post a Comment